Numbers don’t lie, and the sizes of her tumours have all gone down. Here is a report from her last X-rays. The doctor said that she is responding really well to the new medication. He even went to far as to say that Mom would be in remission by next spring. Read into that what you wish. I firmly believe that it is entirely possible for her to be rid of cancer.
Mom is quite pleased. She’s gained a pound. She was at 69 lbs. for a long time. Now, according to her own scale and the doctor’s, she’s a whipping 70 lbs. I attributed that to the cannabis oil she’d been taking for 3 weeks, but she doesn’t believe it.
Mom discontinued using cannabis oil a few days ago. She says it did nothing. She was using 1 part THC and 2 parts CBD, 5 drops, 4 times daily, for about 2 weeks. Before that, she was using 5 ~ 6 drops daily of 1 part THC and 4 parts CBD.
For those who do not know what the THC & CBD is: putting it simply, THC is the part that gives the buzz, and CBD counteracts the effects of THC. Both are normally present in a natural cannabis plant. THC is also responsible for increased appetite, pain management, reducing stress, and helping with sleep.
So, with Mom’s dosage and ratio, it is my opinion that she stood no chance of seeing any results. I suggested a 1:1 ratio of both oils and 20 drops, 4 times per day. Still no high, but increased effect for everything else. Unfortunately, Mom doesn’t want to continue it, so that as they say is that.
Mom & Floyd went to the cannabis clinic yesterday to see about dosage. I was supposed to go with them, but they went without me.
She is to increase to 0.1ml four times a day. That’s, according to my calculations, rounding down, about 4 drops per dose, totalling 16 drops per day. She’s been on 5 or 6 total per day from the start. Each week it is to increase to 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, etc. until she feels some benefit.
I offered my opinion of there being no point in taking it if she takes such a low dosage. To start with, to get used to the idea of taking cannabis, illegal in Canada for the past 100 years, taking 1-2 drops per day is what she suggested. I explained the math. She agreed on 6 (somehow, sometime reduced to 5). But that was just to start, to ‘get her feet wet’.
What’s more, it’s 80% CBD oil and 20% THC. This would mean that she was taking 1.2 drops of THC per day. Absolutely no consequence – ill or beneficial. And more again, CBD oil renders THC ineffective in giving a ‘high’, so even at a 50/50 mix she would not feel anything.
“I’ll start tomorrow.” <sigh> Why not today? I said, “I understand what you’re doing. I can hear the gears grinding, trying to find a reason to not take it. But it’s your health, your decision. You’re older than me – you know what the right decision is.” So she took the drops.
Schedule: 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm; 4 drops each time.
I was going to type, “I hope I don’t come across as negative.” Well, then I would have posted this. Be it as it is. If I sound negative, it’s because it’s like pulling teeth – wisdom teeth, from a horse, in the mud, in the winter – to get her to do what is beneficial to her.
Mom had her doctor’s appointment today, the one we’ve all been waiting for for several months. I didn’t know about the appointment today until they were walking out the door. I would like to have gone to hear directly what the doc said, but that didn’t happen.
She has been approved for two medications – the cancer drug Osimertinib and medical cannabis. Both seemed to take forever to get done.
Osimertinib (pronounced oh”·sim·er’·ti·nib) is the replacement of Teva-Erlotinib, the one she’s been on for several years. The cancer, luckily, has genetically mutated into the type they suspected, which hopefully can be controlled by this new Osimertinib. The doc suggested start with 7 days per week to know definitively if this new medication is working, but Mom said she only wants 3 or 4 days per week. I suspect she expects the same side effects as the last one – tired all the time. It will be delivered by mail, weirdly enough.
As well, she will soon be on cannabis oil – one part THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) (gives her appetite and controls overall aches & pains) to four parts CBD (Cannabidiol) (for pain, anxiety, & tiredness). It also has possible effects of somewhat controlling cancer.
Here are some reports from today:
7/12/2018 4:45 PM 602598 Annette 20180712 cancer report.jpg 7/12/2018 4:45 PM 467177 Annette 20180712 medical cannabis note.jpg 7/12/2018 4:50 PM 475304 Annette 20180712 Megestrol prescription.jpg 7/12/2018 4:50 PM 708059 Annette 20180712 Osimertinib 001.jpg 7/12/2018 4:50 PM 647161 Annette 20180712 Osimertinib 002.jpg 7/12/2018 4:50 PM 702384 Annette 20180712 Osimertinib 003.jpg 7/12/2018 4:50 PM 708620 Annette 20180712 Osimertinib 004.jpg
Mom had her checkup yesterday. Dr. Brigdon is away, but she saw someone else. M&F commented that he smiles more. I guess that’s a good thing. He referred Mom to a cannabis clinic, as did Dr. Brigdon, to stimulate her appetite. Her consultation with this clinic is June 30, 2018, at 10:00am. Mom was pretty resolute in not being interested in cannabis because of the high would give, but her doctor explained that the clinic can set her up with treatments with a useful balance of THC (the high ingredient) and CBD (the counter to THC) so as to help her appetite, a side-effect of cannabis, but without making her high.
Mom’s biopsy is today. This will allow the lab to determine if the new medication will be effective.
She’s not up yet, but I imagine she’ll be stirring soon. The appointment is for 7:45am. I’ll keep everyone posted.
Mom now has a biopsy scheduled for Wednesday, June 13, 2018, at 7:45am. It should be a 20-minute procedure with a 3 or 4 hour rest in hospital. There is a 3~5% chance as stated by Dr. Brigdon, or 15% chance as stated by Dr. Oviatt, of having a collapsed lung, in which case Mom would spend overnight in hospital. I’ll keep everyone posted.
We went to Dr. Brigdon yesterday for Mom’s blood test results. Continue reading “blood test results”
Since May 5, 2018, Mom has been taking three cancer tablets per week instead of her regular four. She’s been pretty tired the past few months and has missed going out places or stays in the car, like when Floyd goes shopping. Not so good. So, because this pill really knocks the energy out of her, she’s decided to go back to three. There’s been no change on average in the cancer cells, so we’re hoping this will not adversely affect her.
There is still no news on the blood test. Her blood test is May 22 and followup appointment is May 24. It was supposed to be two weeks since they sent the blood back East, but it’s been two month now, and still no word. The importance of this test, as you can read from earlier posts, is that they can determine if a new cancer drug will work on Mom or not. If so, she can discontinue the ones that make her so worn out. I’ll keep you posted.